God did not promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. Disappointments are like road humps, they slow you down a bit but you enjoy the smooth road afterwards. Do not stay on the humps too long. Move on; enjoy the ride.
When you feel down because you did not get what you want, just sit tight and be happy, because God is thinking of something better to give you. When something happens to you, good or bad, consider what it means. There is a purpose to life’s events; to teach you how to laugh more or not to cry too hard.
You cannot make someone love you, all you can do is be someone who can be loved; the rest is up to the person to realize your worth. The measure of love is when you love without measure. In life, there are very rare chances that you will meet the person you love and who loves you in return. So once you have it, do not ever let go; the chance might never come your way again.
It is better to lose your pride to the one you love, than to lose the one you love because of pride. We spend too much time looking for the right person to love or finding fault with those we already love, when instead, we should be perfecting the love we give.
When you truly care for someone, you do not look for faults; you do not look for answers; you do not look for mistakes. Instead, you fight the mistakes, you accept the faults, and you overlook the excuses. Never abandon an old friend. You will never find one who can take his/her place. Friendship is like cheese; it gets better as it grows older.
Remember, there are simple ways to be blessed:
- Free your heart from hatred; practice forgiveness. Relationships are worth more than what money can purchase. Even within confrontations, friendships are valuable; too valuable to through away and discard.
- Free your mind from worries. Distress is an enemy of the body and the mind. Avoid dwelling on unpleasant or non-productive subjects. Think on good things.
- Live simply. Do not get caught up in the competition game. Even if you win, you will loose. Next thing you know, you will be competing against yourself.
- Give more. Practice giving to God first and others second. Give yourself, your time, your finances, your abilities and talents, and your insight to others.
- Praise the Lord. No matter the situation, praise the Lord for His goodness and mercy to you and your family. Your light shines in praise. Let it shine!
Dr Dale Ackley